SAS Web Report Studio: Chart Makeover – Before and After Shots!
SAS Web Report Studio has some features that help can improve the overall appearance or just shake things up a little. You can change the template for individual reports in cases where you need to better highlight an idea.
Tip! Check out the Information is Beautiful site for some inspirational ideas about presenting data. Of course, Stephen Few’s Now Your See It book I keep on my desk as a reference for presenting data.
Changing the SAS Web Report Studio Template Colors
In the Before shot, the Applied filters text is black, which I think is a little distracting, and the green line disappears slightly into the blue bar. In the After chart, the line is red so there is more contrast between the line and bar. Note: This change will update the template and change the color from green to red everywhere. Make sure that is what you want to do.
To change the chart, do this:
- From the File menu, select Properties.
- From the Format pane, select the Use customized colors radio button.
- Select the second color box on the top row, which controls the line color. From the color drop-down box, select a new color.
Bonus Ideas 1: Set the color of the filter text to a lighter shade, such a gray, in the Applied Filters area.
Bonus Idea 2: Change the Graph Skin to Sheen. Notice the red line looks 3D.
And one last thing … here’s a link to a PDF by Stephen Few about Choosing Colors for Graphs. I really like his ideas and I think you will also. The default templates from SAS are nicely selected.
Learn all about SAS BI
You can learn more about SAS Business Intelligence from the "SAS BI Bible." Take a peek inside the Building Business Intelligience with SAS book.
Latest posts by Tricia Aanderud (see all)
- Use these 7 Data Storytelling Examples to Make Your Insights more Meaningful Today - 2018-06-09
- Use Network Analysis to Understand Your Customers with SAS Visual Analytics 8.2 - 2018-01-21
- My 7 Favorite Features in SAS Visual Analytics 8.2 on Viya - 2018-01-14
- Designing Dashboards: Finding the Fantastic Five Colors - 2017-06-19
- Creating a Web Analytics Report in SAS Visual Analytics 8.1 - 2017-06-19